After my diagnosis, I felt alone. I was unfamiliar with the term “gluten- free”. Needless to say, I didn’t know anyone who was gluten-free. Actually I don’t believe I ever heard the term on a tv program or movie until a recent pizza shop on the television mentions they have a gluten-free crust option.
So right now I will attempt to dazzle you with statistics on Gluten-Free.
- Approximately 3.1 million GF individuals in the United States; 72% of them do NOT have Celiac Disease
- Gluten related concerns affect more women than men
- Gluten Free individuals may be 6% of the world’s population
- Gluten affects all ages
The demand for Gluten-Free food is growing due to greater awareness
- Gluten-Free market predicted to grow by 8% to 10%
- Gluten-Free food market to grow from $3.73 to $6.43 billion worldwide
- 18% of adults buy Gluten-Free products
- Gluten-Free restaurants are trending. (Hooray!)
I see being Gluten-Free a easier experience than it probably was many years ago. Many of my favorite foods are available in box or frozen … and some choices are fresh. As I see it, the only entity that has not embraced GF is the fast food industry. For me, that is good and probably has attributed positively to my healthier lifestyle.